- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) bacon
- 2 tbsp (1 fl oz/ 30 ml) bacon drippings
- 3 oz (85 g) onion, diced finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, together with seeds, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt
- 2 1/4 oz (64 g) Lakanto Golden, or equal “brown” sweetener
- 4 tbsp. (2 fl oz/ 59 ml) champagne vinegar
- 1/2 c (4 fl oz/ 118 ml) water
- 1 tbsp.(1/2 fl oz/ 15 ml) sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz/ 14 g) butter, salted
- Chop raw bacon fairly finely. I take advantage of kitchen shears to chop it into 1/4-1/2″ items. You’re going to place the entire thing within the meals processor later, so it doesn’t must be tremendous exact.
- In a big pot over medium, cook dinner the bacon items till crispy. Remove crisp bacon bits with a slotted spoon and let it drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tbsp. the bacon drippings (maintain the remainder of the drippings, aka liquid gold, in a mason jar for different basic cooking).
- Transfer the reserved 2 tbsp. drippings to a small-ish saucepan and warmth over medium.
- Once it’s scorching, throw in your onion and habanero and start cooking down, stirring regularly, till the onion is begins to get golden.
- Add the garlic and let cook dinner one other 30 seconds, or till aromatic.
- Stir within the Seasoned Salt, Lakanto Golden, champagne vinegar, water, and the reserved crispy bacon items. Mix nicely and convey to the simmer, stirring sometimes.
- Let the combination cook dinner down, stirring extra regularly the extra the liquid cooks off, till there’s about 1-2 tbsp. liquid left within the combination.
- Remove from the warmth, add the sherry vinegar and butter, and stir nicely so the butter melts and incorporates.
- Let stand to chill barely, about 5 minutes.
- Dump the combination right into a meals processor and course of till it’s as easy as you prefer it. I left mine somewhat chunky, in order that’s completely OK.
- Transfer to a mason jar, push any solids down into the fatty liquid, and let stand to chill.
- You wish to serve this heat. Store it within the fridge, however the fat will solidify within the chilly, so heat the combination a very good 20-30 seconds within the microwave earlier than every use.
For an herbed (aka, not spicy) model of this condiment, omit the habanero pepper and add 1 to 1 1/2 tsp your favourite dried herbs whenever you add the Seasoned Salt. I’ve used a combination of sage and thyme, and it was beautiful. Don’t be afraid to experiment with the bottom recipe. I feel this could even be fabulous by including a splash or two of maple extract whereas omitting the pepper or herbs.
Per 1 tbsp.: 126.2 cal, 7.8 g protein, 9.8 g fats, 4 g carbs, 0.7 g fiber, 2.4 g sugar alcohol, 0.9 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: Approx. 1 tbsp